Coconut Flour

Coconut flour is today creatively used in making biscuits, pancakes, cakes, bread and cupcakes and  being a South Indian many of our dishes use coconut milk as a base hence giving a lot of pulp as leftover. This leftover is the main and only ingredient to make this flour. 
This flour is made basically using the pulp leftover from squeezing out coconut milk. I have tried  various versions mentioned on the Internet such as dry roasting on the pan, using the oven or even the fan method. The method I trust in the sunlight method as easiest and most efficient. 
It makes sense to do it in larger batches, so I  keep freezing  the pulp until I have a large ziplock bags' worth. The amount of flour will be roughly equal to amount of pulp that you use but it will shrink and dry up. 

So let's jump into the method. 

Ingredients 

Coconut pulp- left over from squeezing out coconut milk 

Method 

Step 1 
Lay the pulp out onto a flat tray or plate and spread out evenly in a single layer, be sure to spread them out and break off the lumps. 

Step 2
Leave them  out under sunlight - I usually keep it in my balcony (I leave it out first thing in the morning and bring it back by night.)

Step 3 
Do the same for 2 to 3 days( depending on the exposure of the flour to the sun as sometimes it takes 2 and sometimes 3 days for me)  until the pulp has completely dried out. 
While feeling the flour over the days you will see it go from mushy wet material to a  dry and dehydrated flour. 

Step 4 
Put the  dried pulp into a blender and blend to a smooth flour  and just a heads up that it  definitely won’t get as fine but has the same property as a shop bought coconut flour. 

Step 5 
Can be left out at room temperature for up to a month, or kept frozen for up to 6 months but I mostly keep it in the fridge and honestly it doesn't last more than a week in my house.

Comments

Popular Posts